Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Book of Eli - Thoughts and Impact

There are so many things that occur in my day that would absolutely put anyone to sleep if they had to read about them. So I'll save you the mundane details. However, my friend and I get together every once in a while to take in a movie. It's nice to get out of the house and enjoy fellowship with good friends.

Today was a good day in regards to my Christian walk. My friend and I went to see the movie The Book of Eli. The movie was awesome. The message was delivered in a rough manner set in a post-apocalyptic world. I realize this may sound odd, but upon leaving the movie I felt like I really needed to start reading the bible. We often talk about the movie we just saw, among other things, for a few minutes afterward. He shared the same thought. Reflecting on the movie, I realized that I do not live the life that I am called upon to live. I do not take advantage of opportunities laid before me to spread the word or live the word. I get caught up in the everyday grind. The people in the automotive industry can be harsh in conversation and attitude. Conversations can often be filled with language that don't necessarily offend me, but should. I find that it carries over into my personal life. This is only one aspect of my life that I think of when I watch something like this movie. Denzel's character listened and heeded his calling. He had faith in what he was told would be absolutely true.

I was asked to help teach our Sunday morning class at church. I had been thinking of it for the past couple of days. I decided to accept the invitation. I am tired of going through the motions...lazily sitting in my chair listening with no vested interest. Without a vested interest I can go home and go about my way, my way not his way, of doing things. My life will not change if I don't make a concerted effort to change it.

I am not perfect, but no one is. I will continue to have faults. It's how I overcome my trials that will be the example for others to see, whether good or bad. Denzel's character was faced with temptations throughout the movie which would have resulted in him losing his "path". During one of the scenes he tells himself "Stay on the path. It's not your concern. Stay on the path. It's not your concern." He didn't stray from his path. I need to 1)find my path and 2)follow it. Gaining a vested interest by contributing during class or other opportunities which may arise will result in finding my path. The daily challenge is following it.
"When you make a commitment to a relationship, you invest your attention and energy in it more profoundly because you now experience ownership of that relationship." - Barbara De Angelis

No comments:

Post a Comment